Circulation Volunteer Duties
Desert Foothills Library
This is routine clerical work in a library involving basic support services and services to patrons.
Works under the immediate supervision of either a team lead or a Librarian.
Examples of Duties
· Greets everyone as they enter the library.
· Checks books, magazines and other library holdings in and out at the circulation desk and collects fines using library software.
· Replaces books, magazines and other library holdings on shelves according to Dewey Decimal System.
· Scan incoming library materials using library software and inspects them for damages.
· Assist patrons with applying for a library card.
· Operates a variety of standard office and library machines.
· Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
· Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by reviewing books to ensure they are in correct order and reshelving of materials, as needed.
· Assists patrons in locating items within the library shelves.
· Provides up-to-date information about programs, events and library happenings.
· Registers patrons for programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Some knowledge of library clerical procedures and practices.
· Good knowledge of clerical practices.
· Good knowledge of the English language.
· Some skill in typing and the ability to do data entry using a computer terminal.
· Good ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
· Good ability to pay attention to detail.
· Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates and the general public.